Friday, June 4, 2010

Hymen-What?

I am a 22-year-old recent college graduate, I have been married to my high school sweetheart for two and a half years and I am still technically a virgin. Weird, right? I know.
After years of living in shame, pain and secret, I finally decided to get help.
A few months ago, I contacted a sex therapist who lives in a city about four hours away. My husband and I took a weekend and went to visit her. She confirmed what I had thought. I more than likely had Vaginismus. Vaginismus is an involuntary contracting of your pelvic muscles, which doesn't let you insert anything into the vagina, making sex, pelvic exams and even tampon insertion impossible.
The therapist I saw, set me up with a nurse practitioner to perform a pelvic exam who had experience working with women who had vaginismus. I have had a bad experience with a pelvic exam in the past.
The nurse practitioner was able to shed even more light onto my problem. She confirmed I still had an intact hymen. This is what was causing the pain when I tried to insert something, which was making the tightening of the muscles an involuntary reaction learned from the previous painful experiences.
The nurse practitioner was able to set me up with a surgeon she practiced with to preform the hymenctomy. A hymenctomy is an outpatient surgery to remove the hymen.
So yesterday, I was taken into the hospital, given mild sedation and twenty minutes later I was officially hymen-less. I was released from the hospital that afternoon and sent home with Tylenol 3. Although the pain wasn't TERRIBLE, it was kind of intense. So, note to doctors: PLEASE PRESCRIBE PATIENTS SOMETHING STRONGER THAN TYLENOL 3. IT HURTS. IT WOULDN'T HAVE TO HURT IF WE HAD SOMETHING A LITTLE BIT STRONGER.
After spending the last two days with an ice pack and two tylenol 3's every three hours, I am doing pretty good.
I was very nervous about the surgery because I had never had an operation before, but everything from admissions, to the sedation, to the recovery went extremely well. I had great nurses and a great surgeon.
Now, I just have to wait and see how I heal. I plan on continuing therapy with the sex therapist and I plan on starting physical therapy.
I started this blog to help others who may have vaginismus or a hymen problem because I was not able to find much personal information on the subjects. So, feel free to message me if you have any questions about what I'm going through or if I can help you.

P.S. My name is not really Franny Glass. It's from my favorite book,Franny and Zooey.

No comments:

Post a Comment