Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Sex and The City Envy

I the 22-year-old married virgin am I die-hard Sex and The City fan. This is ironic for several reasons. First and foremost, I am a virgin. Secondly, I was not only married at 19. I married the only boy I ever loved. All three very un-Carrie Bradshaw like things.
However, I am still a die-hard SATC fan. I guess I relate most to Charlotte. She, like I, believe in true love and happy endings. And, she too was in a sexless marriage. Although, hers was the fault of the erectile dysfunction of her husband, Trey, whom she eventually left. So, not very reassuring there. And, of course I relate Carrie in the fact that we both hold Journalism degrees.
Anyway, there are two things I envy about Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda. The first of course being that they actually have sex lives. The second being their friendship. Do most women have this tight group of girl friends they talk so graphically too? I don't. Maybe it was where I was brought up. We are modest bunch here in the south. Most things aren't spoken about. Even when the group of girl friends I have do talk about sex it isn't in near detail of the SATC crowd. I of course try to remain mum, contributing very little. Because I have very little to contribute.
It isn't just the candor in which they speak about their sex lives I envy. It is their overall friendship. I just don't feel that close to my friends, I guess. That I could open up to them about such personal issues. For instance, no one but my husband knows about my vaginismus. Maybe that is what makes me introverted about sex.
Maybe I just have an overall problem opening up to people after losing such a great friend in such a violent way. (I had a good friend commit suicide almost two years ago). I don't know. What I do know is, I have Sex and The City Envy.

No comments:

Post a Comment