Sunday, July 4, 2010

How does a dead man over 80 inspire me to overcome vaginismus?

My grandfather was born in the 20's to poor sharecroppers. He fought in two wars. He was deemed a "war hero" by those who knew of the battles he fought. He served under General Patton and could have written first hand of accounts of the most historic battles in the world. But, he stayed quiet and moved back to the rural area he grew up in, venturing away only when his country called, speaking very rarely about the things he saw during years at war. By the time my grandfather was 20-years-old he had collected the bodies of his fellow soldiers on the beaches of Normandy, he had fought his way across Iwo Jimma and he had spent what would later be deemed "the longest winter", but is more commonly referred to as the, Battle of the Bulge,in Belgium. He saved five soldiers lives that day in Belgium. After being hit several times himself, he still managed to pull them to safety before doctoring his own wounds and continuing to fight while moving the rest of his men to higher ground. He was a hero. He was awarded medals and honors. They even named the VFW building in town after him. He was a man who spent his life honoring this country, his word and his family.
If you would have asked about being a "war hero" when he was alive, he would have just smiled a small sad smile and pull a faded picture out of his wallet. He would have told you that was his brother. His name was Wally and he was just 21-years-old when he was killed at Pearl Harbor. He would have told you Wally was the hero, not him.
But, he did talk to me about once. He told me that although he has heard people have a fight or flight instinct, he must not have one. Because, all he could think about was doing what he had to do and fighting his way out of there. And, to get as many of his "brothers" out of there as possible.
I realize it may not be the same. But, that is what I plan to do with this condition. To fight to get out of this place. And, to blog about it to help as many of you get out of this place as well. I feel that we are sort of an army. An army entrenched in silence. He told me he rarely talked about the battles he was in because no one unless they were there would understand. It would be impossible. I feel that way about vaginismus. That you have to be going through it to understand.
So, my new fourth of July goal is to fight my way out of this war. How can I not? I don't think I have a flight instinct, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment